And So It Begins
Pre-planning has begun. I do not have a classroom, so I have to float to other teachers' rooms during their planning and lunch periods. This is great since I don't have to get a classroom ready. This sucks since I don't have a classroom to call home for the next 10 months. I have a desk in a tiny office shared by four other people whom I don't know. I'm not looking forward to it, but there's nothing I can do to change it, so all I can do is get over it. There are those that have floated and survived, and they tell me it is doable. I certainly hope so. And I certainly hope it only lasts one year.
Now comes the reality of having to plan lessons. I don't wanna. I'm not ready. It's overwhelming. I'm hearing the frustrations of the other teachers about where education is going, how administrations seem to be heading toward "robot" teachers - all doing the same things on the same days, no creativity or autonomy allowed. Their arguments against this trend are valid. Where's the trust that we are professionals who know how to do our jobs? Where's the understanding that there is more than one way to teach an objective? Where's the appreciation for variety, diversity, different styles and personality, different strengths? Students don't all learn the same way, why are we being expected to teach the same way? We're required to teach every student, regardless of learning strengths and weaknesses. We're required to use different techniques and strategies to make sure we're addressing all learning styles. If we are expected to realize that not all students are the same, why can't everyone else be expected to realize that not all teachers are the same? When they leave our halls, these students are exposed to every personality type imaginable. When they go to work, they will have to work for and with lots of different people; they'll have no choice but to adapt. Aren't we doing them a disservice by not teaching them how to do that now?
Sigh. I'm not sure how to change the system, so for now I will adjust. I'm pretty good at doing that. I learned how when I was a kid in school.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home