haphazard head-trip

Welcome to my world. I'm Smithee - full-time mother, high school English teacher, wannabe writer. This is where I rant and rave about the world. Feel free to do the same.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Happy Birthday, Monkey!

I'm a day late with this, but yesterday was a little crazy. My baby boy is a baby no more. He is now officially halfway to double digits, turning 5 yesterday. He'd been looking forward to his birthday for months, asking, "How many minutes is it till my birthday?" I had to draw a few calendars to explain that it would be a LOT of minutes. For a while he was more excited about his best friend's birthday party, which was this weekend. But it didn't take long for him to remember that he was about to get a mountain of presents all his own.

And Everest it was. DH and I gave him our presents last night, even though his party isn't until this weekend. One of his favorite gifts was the Darth Vader voice changer. He even wore it on the way to school today, and surely would have worn it in to school if that were allowed. It is the coolest thing, and I have to admit, I got it for him because I wanted to try it out. It simulates Vader's heavy breathing and plays a handful of phrases he is known for. But it also lets you change your own voice. In reality, it just sounds like your voice with a deep echo, but it's still pretty cool. And the gestures Monk makes as he plays the phrases are priceless! He is such a ham. Always asking if what he says and does is funny or not. He has a bad habit of keeping a joke going until it's no longer funny, but otherwise his timing is incredible.

It always has been. He came along at a time when DH and I were having a lot of troubles. Although we were surprised by his impending arrival, he has been the most wonderful surprise either of us has ever had. The past five years have absolutely flown by. It's been the most amazing, wondrous thing to watch him grow and change. He's gone from an easy-going baby who only cried when hungry or wanting to be held to a bossy, demanding full-of-energy young boy. He's also funny, sweet, and perfectly adorable, if I do say so myself. And the best thing that ever happened to me. Happy birthday, Monkey! I love you.

1 Comments:

At May 19, 2005 10:37 AM, Blogger Jade said...

Future english teacher, eh? That is so cool. I wanted to do that for a while. Neat. I will have to read through your blog as I have time at work today.
Yes, I am so excited about Star Wars! I've met Peter Mayhew (chewie) a couple times - real nice guy. Had dinner with him, c3po, r2d2, boba fett. . .Belonging to the 501st really has it's benefits. ;)
I am not working on crimson room anymore. I finished it (with a bit of help). I found 12 items on my own and then I found a cheat site. If you want, I'll send it to you. If not, keep working at it. good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home