haphazard head-trip

Welcome to my world. I'm Smithee - full-time mother, high school English teacher, wannabe writer. This is where I rant and rave about the world. Feel free to do the same.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Curtain Call

Last week was a momentous one for me. I finished my student teaching!!! Yay! Even with all we've dealt with because of DH's parents and ex, the five years it took me to get through college the first time, and the hellacious teenage years, I think student teaching was the hardest thing I've ever been through. Four months of essentially sleepless nights, paranoia that the kids hated me and that I had absolutely no clue as to what I was doing, anxiety over being observed by my supervising teacher. But looking back, I realize how much I loved it. Sure, the kids drove me nuts sometimes, and I definitely had some bad days. But all in all, "my" kids had personality and humor and energy that I looked forward to experiencing every day. I know I'll look back in a few years and wonder whatever became of them. I wish them all the best.

On my last day they gave me a huge surprise. Actually, a few surprises. First period was all worried about a student that was absent. This guy was absent fairly often, so I couldn't figure out why they were so concerned this time. Turns out, he was bringing the doughnuts. They had all chipped in to get breakfast in honor of my last day. And the poor guy who went to get them had to take his dog to the vet because she got hit by a car that morning. Luckily the vet said the dog would be just fine. Some of the other classes chipped in and got me a big, beautiful geranium plant. Which I will be giving to my mother so it will have a long and healthy life, as opposed to the slow, torturous death it would surely suffer if I kept it with me. They also got me a VERY cool book about the making of the new Star Wars movie! And a couple of movie theater gift certificates so I can go see the movie when it comes out. I will definitely be thinking of my students on May 19th. Right up until the lights go down and that familiar music starts. Then it's all about Vader. But I'll think of my students again once the movie is over. As if the doughnuts, plant, book, and gift certificates weren't enough, one student also made a huge card which all the classes signed. Keeping that forever! On top of all that, a few students got me gifts on their own. One girl who I thought couldn't stand me gave me flowers. Another girl got me a book by her favorite author, which I cannot wait to read this summer. Another girl got me a lovely gift basket which she filled with candy, a candle, and beautiful jewelry, plus a very sweet card. And one boy wrote me an incredibly sweet note telling me how much I had taught him this semester. The next night, I had dinner with some of the other teachers and they got me a gift basket containing a small fortune in school supplies. It's like it was my birthday! I was really touched by the students' generosity and thoughtfulness. I had no idea they would do something like that. My mentor teacher said they had wanted to send me on a trip, but she convinced them they wouldn't be able to collect that much money. I really don't know if I'll ever have students that great again.

Of course, even though I miss them, I am SO glad to be done with it. Now I can sleep late and watch Dawson's Creek on TBS in the mornings. They're on the awful college years, so it's only a matter of weeks before they're on the awesome Pacey and Joey years again. BTW, exactly how sad is it that a 30-something woman still gets a kick out of a teenage melodrama? Yeah, that's what I thought. Moving on.

Now I just have to find a job. You keep hearing about a teacher shortage here in the South, but I can't figure out where it is. None of the schools around here seem to need anyone. My mother says it will all work out and God will put me where He wants me to be. Wonder if He wants me to be at Wal-Mart? I keep joking that I'm going to learn how to say, "Welcome to Wal-Mart," in seven different languages so I can beat out the retired senior citizen competition for greeter jobs. At least, I hope it's only a joke. Time will tell.

5 Comments:

At May 05, 2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog. It is nice to know there are some people out there who feel the way I do. My partner is not as passionate about things sometimes as I am...especially when it comes to Wubya! I enjoyed reading your blog. I am so impressed that your students were so sweet to you on your last day student teaching. I am glad to know there are still kids like that out there. When I was in college I used to subsitute teach back in Missouri when I could. One time I had a 5th grade class for 3 weeks. I saw so many heartbreaking things during that time. I saw kids that were abused physically and many that I thought were most likely emotionally abused. I made it a point in my class everyday to have a time devoted to "dreams". We talked about what they dreamed to do or become, and I told them that no dream was to big no matter what anyone said. Keep in mind that these were very "country" kids in a small town in Southeast Missouri. They really responded to this so well. You could just see their little eyes light up when we had these talks. It was amazing. Substitute teaching was the hardest job I have ever had, though. I understand how teachers get so burned out....it is so demanding and teachers do not get the pay or credit they deserve. I just think it is so important to get to these underprivileged kids (all kids for that matter) while they are young and not hardened by life. It sounds like you are becoming a teacher for all of the right reasons. That is so inspiring. I think you will make an awesome teacher....obviously, you already have considering the reaction of your students!!! Best of luck to you. I am SURE you won't be working at Wal-Mart!!!

 
At May 05, 2005 3:30 PM, Blogger Brian said...

One more thing...one time when I was teaching math to 5th graders (it was "mental math"...and I didn't have a clue how to teach it)...this kid raised his hand...he had this terribly frustrated look and said, "Mr. Hampton...you don't know what you are doing, do you?" I couldn't help but laugh. I felt like such a moron!!!!!

 
At May 05, 2005 3:33 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I almost forgot...Maxine does rock, doesn't she!!! If I have half the drive and dedication to my career as she does, I would consider myself a success!

 
At May 09, 2005 7:08 AM, Blogger Rach said...

hiya, thank you for you comment, i'm glad there's somebody who can relate to my memories of school!

and don't worry, i absolutely LOVE dawson's creek! they're not showing it in the UK at the minute, but when i was in the states a couple of years ago, in the run up to the final episode, they were playing them from 8am-12 every day! i would get up to watch them, even on my days off from college!! i love it!!!!! Pacey is just wonderful!! mmmm

anyway, i hope you enjoy star Wars...not long to go now!! Yeah!!!!

good luck with the job hunt, something will come along soon...probably when you least expect it too...that's the way it usually works!

Take care
rach

 
At May 09, 2005 4:17 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I totally agree with your view of a "Higher Power". Like I told my former friend, I know that God created me as I am. I believe in no God that would have made me gay and expected me to live my life in misery and alone. Everyone deserves the honor of being happy and fulfilled. I am in a committed relationship with a person that I love more than I could love anyone. What more could God want for any of us?

Thanks again for your kind comments. I am so glad that you are going to use the dreams discussions. I think that so many times our society likes to crush dreams rather than keep them alive. I am 30 years old and I still have dreams for my life. Some are probably unattainable, but they still keep me going everyday. They still give me hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home