haphazard head-trip

Welcome to my world. I'm Smithee - full-time mother, high school English teacher, wannabe writer. This is where I rant and rave about the world. Feel free to do the same.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Prayers for Some Friends

It's easy to forget just how precious the people in our lives are. We get busy with work, cleaning the house, getting the kid to baseball practice on time, and so on and so on. But then something happens that reminds us that we're only really here for a few minutes, and each minute is so very important. In the last year or so, I have been reminded of the fragility of life many times over. Monkey has had a couple of hospital visits that have luckily turned out to be for minor issues. But the fear of something worse certainly kept me on guard during those visits. That something worse happened to others in my life. My stepdad lost a sister and a brother-in-law within a few months of one another, and another of his sisters is dealing with a myriad of health problems that may take her from us very soon. While these events have been difficult for my family, there was some comfort that those who had passed had led long, full lives and were now free from the often unbearable pain they had dealt with for so long. There had been time to prepare and say goodbye and reflect on how important these people were to us.

All too often this isn't the case. Sometimes the rug gets pulled out from under you and knocks you on your ass. Sometimes you get punched in the gut and have the wind knocked out of you. Sometimes life is so unfair that you can't help but want to tell God or Fate or Whatever the hell it is that spins this rock around that they can just bite it. Unfortunately, some people that I don't actually know, but feel like I do, know exactly what I mean. My heart goes out tonight to one person in particular. If anyone comes across this post and has a minute (and if you don't have a minute, find one), please send a prayer Magazine Man's way.

And while you're at it, some other virtual friends could use your positive energy, too. Stupid cancer has taken more good people much too soon. Whether it happened a few days ago or over a year ago, the ones left behind can always use a reminder that other people in the world are thinking of them and sending a kind thought their way.

That fragility of life thing doesn't just hit you when someone dies, though. Sometimes it slaps you in the face and yells at you to be thankful for the blessings you have. Even though he can be a major pain in the ass sometimes, Monkey is my heart and soul. I really don't think I would be strong enough to handle it if something ever happened to him. Every day I wear an orange and white wristband to remind me to be grateful for every minute I have with him. Because stupid cancer doesn't just go after grown-ups. It also goes after those who are too young to have to know how much life can suck sometimes. Again, if you have a minute (and again, if you don't think you have the time, make the time), please send some healing vibes to sweet Sahara.

To all of these people, to the families and friends of those lost at Virginia Tech, to everyone out there who needs it - my heart, prayers, and thoughts are with you. Peace and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home