Free at Last, Free at Last!
Thank God Almighty the Tour de France is over!!!!! Now I don't have to hear any more about it from DH until next year! Wait, I know better. Now come the recaps. And the endless analyses and retrospectives of Lance Armstrong's career. Then the videos of the race will be out and we can watch them again and again and again. More accurately, DH will watch them again and again and again. I'll be upstairs watching Nip/Tuck. (That slasher guy better not hurt Christian's pretty face!)
I really don't get the fascination. One race looks exactly like the next to me, as does each stage of each race. I'll just never understand what could be so interesting about watching people ride up hills, down hills, and around in a circle. For three weeks! To me, it's as bad as watching golf, or bowling, or billiards. Even watching an eating contest is more fun because there's always the chance that someone will throw up on someone else. But DH loves it and always will. For three weeks every summer, it's nothing but "The Tour" in our house. All bow before the power and sanctity of the bicycle.
And I am sick beyond words of hearing about Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow. DH said some newscaster claimed that Lance's character had increased since being with her. No. No, no, no no, and a big fat NO! His popularity in the I-don't-give-a-shit-about-cycling-because-I-haven't-been-on-a-bike-since-I-was-10 world has increased, perhaps. But his character, which allowed him to leave his wife who bore his children and stuck by him through cancer, has not increased. How can anyone confuse the two? A person's character is not based on who they are sleeping with. Although it does say a lot about a person's character judgment. At least it has given me some writing prompt ideas to use in the classroom this year. But it turns my stomach at the same time.
1 Comments:
hiya! I know what you mean about the Tour de France, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. however, i am a fan of the boring sports! I LOVE Formula 1 racing. I've been a fan for many years now, and even though every race looks the same, and every lap of every race IS the same, i can still sit there for an hour and half and enjoy it all!
I'm glad the bike race is over for your sake, maybe now, you'll be able to have a conversation that doesn't revolve around the colour yellow!
good to see you posting again! i missed it!
take care
Rach
Post a Comment
<< Home