haphazard head-trip

Welcome to my world. I'm Smithee - full-time mother, high school English teacher, wannabe writer. This is where I rant and rave about the world. Feel free to do the same.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

This is me.

Hi. I'm new to blogging, so bear with me while I learn as I go. I am 34, a wife, mom to a four year-old son, stepmother to a 13 year-old boy, a major Star Wars fan, a lover of words, and an entertainment junkie. I have been a retail grunt, a small-town news photographer, a program manager in the marketing department of a software company (which means I was a corporate grunt), and a stay-at-home mom.

After getting to stay home with my son, I realized that I could never go back to the corporate world. I needed to do something that meant more to me, something that made me feel like I was making a positive contribution to the world. So I decided to teach. My mom was a teacher, so I know full well what a difficult profession it is, but I have already seen how rewarding it can be, too. I'm student teaching right now, and yesterday, a student told me how much he is enjoying the book we're reading. It made my day. Actually, it made my week. Small victories. I take 'em where I can get 'em.

I love surfing the internet. I could spend hours visiting all the links from my favorite sites. I especially enjoy www.wilwheaton.net, www.theonion.com, http://sorryeverybody.com, and www.syntaxerrorscomics.com.

I'm originally from Harvest (near Huntsville), Alabama, but I've been living in Georgia since '96. I also lived in Austin, Texas, for a year, and Montgomery, Alabama, for a few months. I'm a Libra, a democrat, and a couch potato. I keep meaning to change that last one, but I just never seem to get motivated enough to do it. I like my TV, I can't help it. I like sitcoms, dramas, and soaps. The Daily Show, Nip/Tuck, Gilmore Girls, The West Wing, Friends, ER, General Hospital, Judging Amy, Law & Order, and Charmed are just a few of my favorites. Because of my son (aren't kids a great excuse to watch cartoons?) I also like The Fairly OddParents, Rugrats, and Spongebob Squarepants. I love old movies - anything with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, or Gregory Peck, especially. My absolute favorite movie is Star Wars, though. I bow before the genius of George Lucas. I could go on and on about it, but that's for another post. I love music. Everything from Beethoven to The Wiggles. Okay, they're my son's favorites (there's that kid excuse again), but they're really quite entertaining. And impossible to get out of my head. The music I've loved the longest belongs to Rick Springfield. I've been crushing on him since before I understood what crushing was. His latest album is incredible, and waaaay different than the pop brilliance he created in the 80s. If you like hard-edged, guitar rock, give it a try. It's called Shock, Denial, Anger, Acceptance and it rocks!

Well, my son wants to play on the computer, so I guess that's it for now. Hope to talk to you soon!

3 Comments:

At January 29, 2005 3:19 PM, Blogger Scarele said...

Since you're new, I just want to say "hello" to the world of blogging.

 
At January 29, 2005 9:51 PM, Blogger Smithee said...

Thanks, Scarlet Elegance for the welcome. It's an interesting place to be. I hope to make the most of it.

 
At April 18, 2005 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have known you would be into this.

Selena Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home